Thursday, December 9, 2010

Metamorphoses XIV

"And Circe, before we left, warned us how treacherous our paths might be, how vast the ocean was, what dangers wait along the savage sea. Her words - I must confess - filled me with fright; and when we reached this beach, I stayed behind." -Macareus

In essence, he was scared off.

His blabber did not stop until the tree-bark cloaking him climbed up around his neck: he's now a tree, in fact.

Another example of tree metamorphosis.

But then Cybele called to mind that all this timber came from her own pines; and so the Mother of the gods, with brazen cymbals, clanging loud and harsh, and with her brash and blatant boxwood flutes, filled all the sky; drawn through the light air by her team of harnessed lions, she outcried: "O Turnus, with your sacrilegious hands you fling - in vain - those torches! I shall save these ships; I'll not permit the greedy flames to burn these pines - these parts, these very limbs - of my own forests."

No comments:

Post a Comment