Thursday, December 9, 2010

Final Thoughts

I felt like I could have written more blogs, but spent a great deal of time inundated with the rich artwork of the Renaissance and other periods. One of my favorites turns out to be John William Waterhouse, who is more contemporary (1849-1917) but truly captures some of the Renaissance style. I felt like the pictures were extremely powerful and attempted to convey the third dimension which is not captured alone in the writings. I noticed, sadly, how there was a sharp decline in mythological artwork at the beginning of the 20th century. I guess this is partly a byproduct of the splintering of media sources but there certainly is a decline of actual paintings and sketches of mythological works. There are certainly a few exceptions: Picasso, Dali, Beckmann, Matisse, and Warhol (though very few Ovid ones occurred from any one of these artists). Perhaps I am more of a sucker for the old stuff, I guess.
Another interesting thing I came across while searching for different pictures which related to each story was that often times the scientific names of different families or orders of birds and plants were directly named from there Ovid counterpart. This is a nice renewal of the myths in the modern world.

No comments:

Post a Comment