Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Metamorphoses VIII

"O Icarus," he said, "I warn you: fly a middle course. If you're too low, sea spray may damp your wings; and if you fly too high, the heat is scorching."

Do sons ever listen to their fathers?

His eyes were glittering with fire and blood; his neck was bold, erect; his bristles were as stiff as rigid spears; his giant flanks were flecked with hot foam as he grunted, hoarse; his tusks could match an Indian elephant's; his mouth flashed lightning; and his breath, in passing, scorched the boughs; and now he tramples fledgling corn, and now he means to make the farmers mourn - to reap but tears: he ruins ripened ears.

I really liked this passage, although transposing it was a bit rough.

Althaea: "O you, my brothers' souls, you, new-made Shades, accept this honor that - to you - I pay; accept the deadly offering I make - it is so dear, so costly - for your sake: the evil fruit my womb has reaped."

This appears to be a theme in Metamorphoses: the mothers bear their children, the children then are killed in battle, the mother weeps and seeks vengeance for the murderers of her sons/daughters. Womb to earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment